Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Poem of an Angel from Paradise

 


This poem was primarily inspired by Dante's Paradiso. I imagined this poem from the pictures of paradise from Gustav Dore. This is an English sonnet concerning the future resurrection of the dead.  

                                                

                                                As the curtains of heaven unfolded,

                                               I saw those who are Christ-devoted, 

                                               from sin, they have eternal freedom, 

                                               theirs, is the glorious heavenly kingdom.

                                         

                       
                                               While I watched this unearthly scene,

                                              an angel came down to me, 

                                              I asked him where were the former dead, 

                                              and he replied, that I had nothing to dread. 


                                             My eyes looked to the clouds above,

                                            I saw saints standing beside the Paraclete-Dove, 

                                            I realized then, that all things had become new,

                                            the scriptures, bear witness to all that is true. 


                                           Let not the fear of death be of dread to us, 

                                           If in Christ, we be faithful and in Him, forever trust. 

                                            

2 comments:

Creative Writing and Publication

Commencement at Liberty University is just around the corner. This year, I will be graduating with a degree in English and Writing. While my...