Friday, August 26, 2022

My Italian Sonnet

 





I've written this poem as similar to an Italian sonnet. It has an octave in the first stanza, followed by a sestet in the second. I lacked specific inspiration that had helped my recent previous poems address a Dryad. However, I wanted to write this as I've never done an Italian sonnet before. Who the poet is describing in the poem is at best, ambiguous. Throughout the poem, however, I had in mind a Medieval minstrel wooing an Italian girl. 



Let love be found in my lent speech,

and your beating heart be within my reach.

your affection I wish to again attain,

let not my veneration be in vain.

Now, as I become ready to read, 

let me to you, surely lead. 

I pray that my voice not vex, 

what I am to narrate next. 


Of all the things that a heavy heart does feel, 

let my warm wooing make an appeal. 

I admire thee as with all my admiration, 

You capture and conquer my full comprehension. 

Worthy or no, this writing be, 

Same as ever, is this song in me. 










4 comments: