Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Creating a Brand and Identity of Myself

 There are many ways that I would like to propel my work on social media. Between blogging about my works for those who follow my writings online and emailing friends about my latest stories, I realize that selling a book requires advertising from either the publisher or the author (if not both). 

I have a brand to bring to the world of publishing. My brand, which I shall expound upon in a moment, concerns novels of romance and adventure, historical fiction, and espionage. In general, my books are not over 100,000 words. Since a brand is what many readers associate with an author's books, I would like to share some about my own. 

I like the colors blue, gray, and green for my novels. I would prefer that my books be printed in medium hardcover or softcover. When my books are published, I would like them to follow the appearance of the dust-jackets of J. R. R. Tolkien's first-edition hardcover novels. I don't prefer bulky hardcover books, however, and I am not a fan of Mass Market Paperback. More about Tolkien's early editions of The Lord of the Rings can be found here:

https://www.rarebookcellar.com/pages/books/178279/j-r-r-tolkien/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-the-two-towers-the-return-of-the-king




I greatly esteem the external artwork of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels. I love the emphasis on trees and greenwood in these pictures. I would like my novels to follow these designs. I am hardly a fan of the typical American romance novel with models posing on the cover, often in sexual form. If something more romantic is to be included on one of the covers of my books, I would prefer that it be a painting of the past. 

As to my identity as a writer, I first identify as a Christian. Secondly, Jane Austen is remembered most often for romance, Ian Fleming for espionage, and Michael Shaara for historical fiction, three genres that I mostly concentrated on. Some of the projects that I am currently most known for are my theological and Medieval history posts online. Some describe me as a talented storyteller and articulate theologian (I have recently been accepted into seminary as well!). I am different from most writers today, not only in the diversity of what I write but in my commitment to Christianity. I am passionate about storytelling, strong openings, emotional endings, historical accuracy, memorable characters, and consistent plotlines. 

I would like my logo to be the image of a sword. I have loved Medieval literature for many years, and Medievalism is just part of who I am. 

While I would be open to having a pen name as a writer, that is not my priority right now. If anything, I will probably have my name on the front of my early novels. 

10 comments:

  1. Joshua, I appreciate your passion and desire to seek and speak truth from the past and in the present. Blessings in this endeavor. May doors open for your writing as you seek to touch others through literature and theology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doug! I appreciate the kind words!

      Delete
  2. I love the Tolkienesque quality of your anticipated brand...it is so fitting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Whitney! I love Tolkien's stories. He is one of my heroes.

      Delete
  3. I'm delighted that you included Ian Fleming among your sources of literary inspiration, in the "espionage genre." I once had a collection of his early James Bond novels, and while he is frequently depicted as using amoral or questionable methods, the theme of the "good guy vs. the bad guy" is a universal one in literature. Perhaps you can modify this when you add "thriller" elements to your future writings.
    Pete Frey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josh. I'm not a fan of the way typical romance novels are presented, either. Using Tolkien's original book covers as a stylistic model for your own brand is an exceptional idea and fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO excited for you, Joshua. You have so much talent/ability and even more potential to discover. I love your ideas for color themes/old-school artwork (panting), etc.; you have such good taste :) I also love how broad your capacity for writing in genre and styles.

    Many blessings on your writing/publishing endeavors as I have no doubt they are blessed by your Father.

    ReplyDelete