Saturday, June 25, 2022

Begining the Fourth Draft of the first Kings and Crusaders Novel

 



As I began my Medieval Art course through Liberty University's programs, I began to realize that schoolwork had distracted me from the focus that I would love to dedicate to my books. Indeed, I wish that I could study Medieval history, art, literature, theology, and philosophy for my whole degree. Especially since high school, I have had to study a lot of other subjects that my interest in is minimal (math, science, etc). As I begin to finish the first quarter of my Medieval art course, however, I realized my strong desire to be able to spend much of my time simply writing my novels on the crusades as I use to do. I look forward to having my final courses in the sciences done. I want to focus my mind on literature and history. 

On the other hand, taking science has made me think more about terms like ''acceleration'', ''velocity'', and so forth--- terms that I intend to use for my novels. Using terms from science and math fit well in for the description of siege weapons moving up against castle walls and trebuchets slinging stone against the defenders (or attackers). 

Finally, I can say that so far, the fourth draft is superior to all the rest. It introduces the characters better than the other drafts did and starts off the story with the feeling that it truly is set in the Middle Ages. Having taken much inspiration from Chaucer for the beginning of the Kings And Crusaders series, my fourth draft reads largely as a work from Medieval literature. While a lot of work is still needed to be done, I am pleased with where I'm at in this work so far. 


6 comments:

  1. This is Whitney. Love how you are so resourceful in using each new learning experience and incorporating into your writing. You take note of historical detail, and I really appreciate that <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to have it read to me🙂 Dad

    ReplyDelete