Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sneak Peek To Joshua Dotson's: King and Crusaders

~ Sneak Peek To Joshua Dotson's book: Kings and Crusaders

It was morning and almost everywhere there was fresh air. At a local farm, an apple farm, fresh apples were ready to be picked. At an iron mine on a high mountain, two men's faces were blood-red from hard work.At
a small stone quarry not far off, four men who worked there gazed off at the few green areas around them that
reminded them of home. At a small village, women walked around proudly, for almost all of them had a small baby in their hands.The woodcutters left their huts and cut down thick trees as fleas settled in the hair on their legs.Off a small sand bank, a merchant came with a mule that carried large merchandise.  

Inside Belvoir Castle, there was a chapel with a large dome that had a cross on the top of it. Inside the chapel, a wedding was taking place.After the wedding, the priest of the chapel went around blessing people.
 Near the stone keep, where the lord and lady dwelt, there was a granary which was filled with cheese, bread, and apples.

Also not far from the keep was a blacksmith's workshop, where swords and maces were being produced.
There were other workshops in the castle, as well, where armor and other weapons were being forged.
 Next to the granary and keep was a small well.In front of the keep was a fire where peasants gathered around and told stories to each other.To the far left of the castle wall there was a stone barracks where men were joining ''God's Army'' believing  that, as the popes had said, if they died victorious against the saracens they might go straight to Heaven.

         -  From Kings and Crusaders, Part One, Chapter One: Belvoir Castle and the surrounding countryside.

12 comments:

  1. Joshua, this is wonderfully written. I would love to read the entire work. It would be terrific to share with my kids, Meghan and Jonah. Jonah's favorite subject is history. He absorbs historical facts like a sponge. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Dotson,

    I like the picture that is being painted here! I can almost see the dew on the grass and the smiles on these people's faces. You've captured much beauty with few words, and brought the reader to a place that they are able to easily flesh out in their mind, so to speak, and one that they will be inspired by in the process. Every added clarifying detail confirms the good, happy setting that one suspects from the opening. That inspires a pleasant feeling as the reader is warmed by the beauty of the setting, and it sets things up very well for future drama.

    Well done.

    Thank you for sharing this. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Joshua! I am glad that your amazing understanding of history is becoming fruitful for you. Good luck young man!
    Amanda Gillenwater

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you azdevil.I hope my story will be both entertaining and a way to learn history for all my readers.I am not trying to write a book that is anything like a textbook but write a story that is historical and entertaining for my readers.I hope you and your children will be touched by the Third Crusade as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mr.Scott.Before entering the Battle of Belvoir Castle,I wanted my readers to know what life was like inside a castle during this time and to have what I imagine in their own minds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ms.Amanda.I hope I will be able to speak at East County Homeschool Group soon.My next plan may possibly be the Battle of Marathon and Greece's fight with the Persians in 490 B.C..I thank you all for your support and I hope I have at least sparked some desire for history in you all.You all are the only large group of people I have spoken to all at once about history and I hope I have not failed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Someday, I get a signed copy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting... I could picture it all in my mind...love how you included the commonplace events, having babies and feasting, with the coming crusades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting... I could picture it all in my mind...love how you included the commonplace events, having babies and feasting, with the coming crusades.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete

Last English Class Done

  I recently finished my last English class, which covered Biblical literature. I also have completed two creative writing classes this seme...